The “Best 12 Days of Summer” will get even better this year with new performances, foods and exhibits at the Eire County Fair this August 9-20. The following is a list of experiences debuting this year.
This year’s Erie County Fair Beer is Hamburg Brewing Sticky Face, while the official Fair Cider is BlackBird Cider Summer Cider. Sticky Face, a watermelon wheat ale, will be packaged in 12oz. cans and will be sold in 6-packs at Tops Friendly Markets, Consumer’s Beverages and other retail outlets. The Erie County Fair Summer Cider, which features flavors of locally-grown apples, loganberry and tart cherry, will be sold in 12oz. 4-pack cans at Tops Friendly Markets, Consumer’s Beverages and other retail outlets. Both will be available throughout the fair as well.
New Free Performances
Upon entering the gates, fairgoers can enjoy over 120 free performances daily. Some of this year’s new acts include:
- Alley Cats (Doo-Wop Acapella Group): Bringing Contemporary style to 50s and 60s classics.
- Jet Pack Flying Water Circus: Watch as stuntmen on jet packs are thrust 40-50 feet in the air to perform aerial stunts in a portable Olympic size pool.
- Buckets and Boards Comedy Percussion Show: Bringing music, rhythm and nonstop laughter.
- Banachek’s Mind Games: Magician, mentalist and devoted nonbeliever.
- Cast in Bronze: Watch as carillons are played from the fists and feet.
- Mighty Mike Roaming Strongman: Watch as he juggles bowling balls and sledgehammers as if light as a feather.
New Free Educational Exhibits
Fairgoers will find over 60 free educational and interactive exhibits throughout the grounds. Some of this year’s new exhibits include:
- Tunnel to Towers 9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit: Near Showplace August 9-14.
- Hands-Only CPR Training: Inside of the Firemen’s Building daily at 2, 3, 5 & 7. In partnership with American Red Cross, OSEA and the Erie County Department of Health.
- Forcible Entry Training Trailer: Outside Firemen’s Building August 11-13.
- Vent Simulation Training Trailer: Outside Firemen’s Building August 15-17.
- Firefighter Survival Trailer: Outside Firemen’s Building August 18-20.
New Competitions… and an Inaugural Commemorative Poster
Competitors will find something they are looking for amongst the 8,000+ classes of competitions at the Fair. New this year, competitions included:
- Craft Cocktail
- Pistils vs. Stamens Flower Arranging
- Ribbon Revamp
- Open Shop
- Tractor & Implement Restoration
- Commemorative Poster
For the first time this year, the Erie County Fair turned its annual commemorative poster into a competition. The winner and official artist of the 2023 commemorative poster was awarded to Jeff Dean of Hamburg. Dean, of Napping Cat Press studios, produces reduction woodcut artwork. The poster was made with a 9-color reduction woodcut using shina plywood block and renaissance Graphics oil-based ink. His artwork contains 12 blocks representing the “Best 12 Days of Summer.” Posters will be available for sale in the Fair’s gift shop throughout the Fair.
The Erie County Fair brings in over 125 food vendors offering over 500 menu items this year. Beyond the classics, fairgoers will find 26 new foods on the grounds.
- Asian Fusion Pierogi by Babcia’s Pierogi: Ground pork, shredded cabbage, carrots & Asian seasonings. Served with Asian dumpling sauce and sweet & sour sauce.
- Fried Bologna & Cheese Fries by Chester’s Gators & Taters: French fries covered in cheese and full of fried bologna.
- Fair-Ribbean Corn by Crafted Cob: Jamaican jerk aioli topped with mango salsa and coconut crème drizzle.
- The “Chicken Coop” Loaded Potato by Dirty Bird Chicken & Waffles: Potatoes topped with chopped Dirty Bird hand battered tenders, cheese, bacon, boom boom sauce and ranch.
- Tropical Wonton by Eastern Pearl: Bringing a new twist to the commonly know cream cheese wontons. Enjoy a simple pastry made with fresh tropical fruits in a tangy delightful mixture of cream cheese served with a sweet refreshing dip.
- Capicola & Provolone Stuffed Link by Mineo & Sapio: Capicola and provolone stuffed link topped with onions, peppers and our Five Cheese Hot Pepper Sauce on a Costanzo roll.
- Poutine Baked Potato by Oberst Concessions/AAR: Baked potato topped with cheese curds, brown gravy and chives.
- Whistle Pig Pizza by Pizza Amore “The Wood Fire Way:” Pizza with hot dogs, bacon, cheese sauce, onions, and mozzarella cheese. Topped with a chili sauce.
- Fried Spaghetti by Salvatore’s Pizza (Pizza Stand): This fried spaghetti is the ultimate fried pasta dish. It has crispy yet tender noodles, a flavorful homemade tomato sauce and topped with romano cheese.
- Greek Pizza by Salvatore’s Pizza (Greek Stand): Not an entirely traditional pizza. Topped with feta, spinach, roasted bell peppers and olives for a colorful meal.
- Gluten-Free Chili Cheese Corn Dog by The Silly Yak: All beef hot dog dipped in gluten-free batter and fried until golden brown. Topped with chili, cheddar cheese sauce, and pickled red onions.
- Hawawshi by Venus: Seasoned ground beef backed in a pita.
- Super Fruit Bowl by Broken Box Concessions: A refreshing blend of fresh and cool Acai or Dragon fruit. Drizzled, topped or sprinkled with your choice of crunchy honey granola, ripe blueberries, strawberries or bananas all coated in honey or rich, delicious Nutella.
- Caramel Apple in a Cup by Moose Joose Slush: Sour apple slush drink mixed with caramel apple drizzle, caramel apple candies, whipped cream and apple slices.
- S’more & More by Babcia’s Pierogi: Toasted marshmallows, blended with cream cheese, Oreo cookies, mini chocolate chips, Graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, jelly and bananas. Dipped in Graham cracker crumbs and chocolate sauce.
- Unicorn on the Cob by Crafted Cob: Vanilla cream topped with crunchy fruity pebbles on the cob.
- Dragon Berry Boba Tea by Eastern Pearl: A vibrant blend of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries infused into authentic green tea, featuring delightful popping boba.
- Tie Dye Smoothie by JMB Concessions: Fresh fruit smoothie featuring three fruit flavors: strawberry, frozen lemonade, and blue raspberry.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Slush by Moose Joose Slush: Strawberry slush drink topped with a slice of NY cheesecake drizzled with strawberry topping and whipped cream.
- Frozen Hot Chocolate Dippin Dot Sundae by OhioDots/DippinDots GLO Concessions: Vanilla Dippin Dots mixed with chocolate coco and mini marshmallows. Topped with whipped cream.
- Peanut Butter Cream Doughnut by Peachey Baking Company: A giant glazed doughnut with homemade vanilla pudding and peanut butter crumbles. Topped with whipped cream.
- Pumpkin Patch with a Twist by Polar Bear Homemade Ice Cream: Homemade pumpkin ice cream (including New York State maple syrup, marshmallow, and graham cracker) sandwiched between 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts, dunked in chocolate then rolled in graham crackers.
- Gluten Free Deep-Fried Apple Pie by The Silly Yak: Apple pie filling dipped in batter and deep fried. Rolled in cinnamon and sugar and dusted with powdered sugar.
- Black Raspberry Cashews by We R Nuts: Cashews covered in a black raspberry syrup representing the purple and gold of your favorite Fair!
- Tajin Candy Apples by Doug & Lori Dills: A traditional candy apple rolled in Mexican seasoning Tajin (pronounced “Tah-heen”). Tajin adds a spicy makeover to the carnival classic. It is a simple seasoning mix of dried and ground red chilies, sea salt and dehydrated lime juice.
- “K” Dogs (aka Korean Corn Dog) by Steve Ianni: All beef hot dog and mozzarella cheese dipped in batter, fried and then rolled in a choice of toppings. Toppings include Takis Mexican chips, fried potato cubes or Hot Cheeto dust.
The Erie County Fair will be held August 9 -20. For more information, visit www.ECFair.org.